You think that managing your remodeling project is a piece of cake. Think again. Whether your project is small or large, it should be managed in the same way. People in Portland are happy to bring their visions to life with the help of a good Portland remodeling company.
Do’s and Don’ts
- Make sure to provide complete and detailed lists of all the work you want to be done. Not only will this prevent any disputes in the future, but also ensures that your requirements and needs are fully understood by the remodeling company.
- Write a contract which includes the scope of work. For example, you want all doors and windows to be customized, but you prefer to clean and polish them yourself. Make this clear beforehand.
- Always check if your contractor is aware of the safety issues on the site. This includes the location of telephone lines, power and drains.
- Check if your contractor has all the permits, insurance and licenses necessary for the job. Be suspicious of those who can’t provide you with these things. An honest contractor will be happy to supply all the documents you need.
- Do not rely on verbal contracts even if your contractor is highly recommended. Even if he seems to be a nice and professional contractor, everything should be written down.
- Do not expect your contractor to know your personal tastes and preferences.
- Do not treat your contractor like a slave.
- Do not forget that your written contract includes the materials, workmanship and warranty. Don’t disregard the contract because it’s your responsibility as well to follow it.
- Do not forget that your project has a deadline, even if you are paying per hour, per day or per project. It is important to set a time frame from the very beginning.
In addition, stay away from contractors who:
- Cannot provide references or credentials that can be verified.
- Use high-pressure sales techniques and offer a special price if you sign today.
- Require large deposits and accepts only cash.
- Does not provide a complete bid or written contract.
- Does not secure a building permit. Permits are your protection in ensuring that that work meets city codes and standards.
For some people, hiring a remodeling company will be the hardest part of any remodeling project. It doesn’t have to be that way. You can prevent this from happening if you hire a good Portland remodeling company using the tips above.